Fire Chief Magazine
Notable Design Award Winner
When Pinole Fire Department asked the Architects who had been designing fire stations in Contra Costa County to submit proposals for building a $1.6 fire station, they refused, saying that's not enough money. Pinole hired Hilliard Architects whose Station 74 came in on their budget.
Cost Efficient Strategies
- Efficient room layout kept the building smaller than most stations while still providing all required functions.
- Simple structural framing, with careful inclusion of wood shear walls kept this structure "moment-steel free", keeping costs down.
- Simple finishes, including integral color concrete for floors kept costs down. Owner added carpet in some areas with unspent contingency
- Daylight was carefully provided at maintenance benches where firefighters repair and maintain their emergency services equipment.
- Solar tubes similar to skylights bring light into interior areas to conserve energy.
- Simple residential design helped foster neighborhood support for the new station in this rural residential area.